The other day, one of my friends from high school texted me:
“Rana… I’m getting frustrated with my life and job search. Give me some of your words.”
“What is frustrating you the most?”
“I’m still in the same place for two years. I haven’t made any tangible progress for two years.”
You have, my friend. You’ve made PLENTY OF PROGRESS.
BACKSTORY: I’ve been working with him over the past two years via our informal post-work “life coaching sessions” to help him build his career post-college. He’s currently working at a job that he doesn’t love and has made several (but failed) attempts to secure a new job.
Here’s what I told my friend:
1. You have made a lot of progress!
2. Think about how much your mindset has changed since we first started talking.
3. You have made so much EFFORT compared to a lot of other people who just try to get in the door and not put in any work.
4. If anything, I’ve think you have grown professionally and mentally. (SKILLS!)
5. You signed up for meetings. You met new people. You started a business deal and learned that some people ain’t shit. (He got screwed in a business deal gone wrong. Moral of the story: You live and you learn.)
6. Things may seem like failures and mistakes and setbacks but when you find that opportunity that is meant for you, you are really going to know how to ROCK it because you’ve done the work… you’ve made the mistakes.
7. Keep believing in yourself… I know its tough but you can’t give up on yourself.
8. You know YOU the best and every time you feel low, you gotta love you more.
Other people might doubt you. They may plant feelings of unworthiness in you, but your belief in yourself has to be strong. Take time to celebrate your wins! Practice seeing the glass half-full rather than half-empty. As long as you are alive, you have the opportunity to get and be better. Life isn’t always going to be peaches and roses. Embrace those feelings that you feel when you are feeling down, but remember this: FEELINGS ARE TEMPORARY. They can change. You can change. Things can get better. Things will get better. You made it to this moment, why give up now?
There are going to be times when you feel like absolute crap and that’s okay.
There are going to be times when you feel like a million bucks.
Being human is a journey filled with ebbs and flows. Recognize that.
Sometimes you have to be your biggest cheerleader. You can’t always look for inspiration from others. Take the time to get to know YOU more and to LOVE you more. Know that the LOVE within you can inspire YOU to continue to be great.
I hope these words are encouraging to you, as well.
What are some tips you have for promoting self-confidence? Share in the COMMENTS section below!
Listen to my personal #dreamsindrive story here:
Visit dreamsindrive.com for more daily encouragement as you start the journey towards believing in yourself.
Latest posts by Rana Campbell (see all)
- How To Create Possibility For Your Life Despite The Odds - December 10, 2017
- From Stockbroker to Beauty Entrepreneur: How Melissa Butler Launched The Lip Bar From Her Kitchen & Succeeded - December 6, 2017
- How Choreographer Aliya Janell Created A Viral Brand Dance Brand And Gained Over 700k New Followers In Less Than 1 Year - November 22, 2017